On Facebook there is an application called God Wants You to Know. With God Wants You to Know it basically allows me to get a random message daily of what they believe God wants me to know. I read mine maybe a few times a week. Sometimes the message can be totally unrelated for my life, but SOMETIMES I get one that speaks to me perfectly.
A couple months ago was one of these nights. My message was basically about how I am not alone. That God is always with you even when we are or feel alone.
I don’t know about you, but I feel alone a lot. I sometimes feel small and insignificant in this huge world. I tell myself lies about how I am not good or worthy enough for other people. This causes me to worry if I should talk to that stranger across the room.
The same day I got this message I had a moment that made me feel alone. I was at an event for one of my classes, and the group was hiking up the mountain to take photos at the top. At about 3/4 of the walk to the top I realized that I didn’t think I could make it the rest of the way for the photo. So I decided to sit on the grass and just be alone.
This was a bittersweet moment for me. I hated that I couldn’t be with everyone else. I hated that I wasn’t fit enough to make it up the mountain. I honestly cried to God at why I couldn’t do this. I let myself get to a place where I was completely talking negatively about myself. I honestly was partly crying because I didn’t get to the top for a few photos.
Then God clearly spoke to me that He has made me special and unique. That He has given me great gifts, but hiking just isn’t one of them. And I realized that it is ok that I am not good at hiking. I also learned in this moment that I had two choices. I could speak lies to myself and I could play the victim. The other option I had was to make the best of the situation. In this moment that was what I had to do. I chose to read some scripture and talk to God about what I was experiencing.
In this situation I thought I was alone, but I realized that God was still with me even when no one else was.
I want to challenge you to a few things that I have been learning and trying to do.
- Talk to a stranger. I’ve always said that a stranger is a friend I haven’t met yet. Some of the closest friends you have now were once strangers to you. If God is calling you to speak to someone, then be obedient and say yes.
- Get to know the people in your life. God has the people in your life for a reason. He wants you to know these people. I have learned countless things from just getting to know the people in my life.
- Be someone that helps build another person up. If you see someone alone, then you should get to know them and encourage them. Look for an opportunity to share the gospel with them. You never know how getting to know that person will impact you or their life.
- Talk to God when you feel alone. If you find yourself feeling alone then talk to God about it. He’s right there waiting to listen and speak to you. Some of the best moments are when you spend time alone with God!
- “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” ~Psalm 147:3 NIV
- “For the sake of his great name the LORD will not reject his people, because the LORD was pleased to make you his own.” ~ 1 Samuel 12:22 NIV
- “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV
Feel free to Comment below, or email me at: email@example.com
Want to know when a new blog is posted? Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or if you have a WordPress account, follow!
Lastly, feel free to Share on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Use the hashtag: #matthew712girl to let me know you are viewing it!
you are a truly gifted writer – even if hiking is not your thing, you have a gift!!!
Ahh, thank you! That’s means a lot to me! 🙂